Nearly a year ago I discovered The Eucatastrophe (of which this redundant blabbering blog is named after) and met its fierce leader, Phil Shepherd. The first words he ever spoke to the mass populace informed his intent to enjoy a glorious cigarette after a week long, youth camp induced sabbatical. In other words, it had been too fucking long since he had indulged. I'm paraphrasing.
After a few conversations with Phil, I learned 1) That he loved and missed his father with an ache that few will or should ever encounter in their lifetime 2) That he loved people with a level of holistic acceptance I'd only seen in my best friend, Harley Mathews 3) That he fervently believed I could do or be anything I desired 4) He was a member of a clan who eloquently referred to themselves as The Outlaw Preachers.
Outlaw Preachers?
Like preachers wearing bandannas, toting guns, with bounty hunting posse...talking about Jesus?
Not exactly.
I've spent the last 10 months observing this collective hodgepodge of preachers, teachers, and friends...and this is what I have ascertained:
1) There is no other group where you will be accepted for exactly who you were created to be.
2) Love abounds. There may be dispute and a 'fuck you' or two, but at the end of the day...love wins.
3) Tattoos of all shapes and sizes are accepted, if not encouraged.
4) Not all cult leaders are bad :)
5) There are no restrictions on religious preference, sexual orientation, or political affiliation. There is, however, a low acceptance of hate.
6) You can be extroverted, introverted, or just plain awkward and STILL be capable of ministry.
7) Everyone is worthy of receiving love.
8) Church is not defined by the locations as much as the people...though the locations tend to make it interesting and easier to connect with the community.
9) They don't preach at people as much as they listen to stories and share in the experiences.
10) There is no restriction on worship or how you encounter God
11) They love even the people who despise them...on purpose.
12) BYOB does not stand for Bring Your Own Bible
13) If you want to be an Outlaw Preacher, you already are one.
And now I have the honor of joining the Outlaw Preachers...let love, joy, and peace be with you.
No comments:
Post a Comment